Cheerleading Stunting & Safety Basics
About This Class
Cheerleading stunts are safe and beneficial to teams if certain guidelines are followed. It is SpiritUís mission to provide the best quality service and instructions in this cheer stunting and safety class. Through this course these activities such as trust, safety, health, and techniques, individual progress will be promoted to achieve success.
In this course you will learn commitment and safety is a team responsibility, which starts with each individual. After completing this stunt and safety class you will be able to think practical about stunting and expect more from it than you thought possible.
About The Instructor
Michelle Balzano Presently coaching the Union City All-Star Competitive Co-ed team.
- United Cheerleading 2002 All-State All-Stars Grand Champions
- Team awarded the HERKIE AWARD at NCA camp for (leadership, values and teamwork)
- Team awarded STUNT SMART AWARD for showing true guidance in stunting.
- Experience coaching recreation, all-star, dance and co-ed teams.
- Certified by NCA and UCA at level two coaching.
- 1st place stunt groups (BOTH ALL GIRLS AND CO-ED WINNING THE COA EASTERN STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)
- Attended RUTGERS S.A.F.E.T.Y CLINIC PROGRAM
- Team recognized as THE BEST OF THE BEST IN 2000-2001 .
- 1st place winning team at the BIG APPLE CLASSIC hosted by NCA.
- Two time 3rd place winners at Great Adventureís Cheer Competition hosted by NCA.
- Article published in Cheer LTD.
- Attend elite cheer camp for stunting every summer.
Basic computer and email skills.
This is not a certification course. Students will receive an electronic report card via email upon completion of the class in PDF format which students may print to hard copy version via their browsers. To view PDF formats, you may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- 1 Binder
- Index dividers
- Loose leaf paper (1 pack)
- Video: Beginning stunts and pyramids, Vol 3
- This course is designed to assist beginners to intermediate coaches in understanding the basics of cheer stunting and safety.
- This course will also assist coaches on how to keep a team physically fit for stunting.
- This course will train coaches on terminology and progression with stunts.
- This course will assist teaching spotting properly and troubleshooting stunts.
- Coaches will have an opportunity too in their final project to complete an essay on "DOS AND DONíTS OF STUNTING."
Class participation 30%
Book report 10%
Final essay 10%
: 90-100% = A
: 80-89.9% = B
: 70-79.9% = C
: 60-69.9% = D
: below 60% = F
Make-Up Exams And Late Work
Full Students Only: It is important to turn in assignments on a timely basis, because this helps show how you'd meet deadlines on day to day real life scenarios. You will generally have a couple of days to turn in assignments. Work should be submitted by due dates unless prior arrangements are made with instructor. Assignments will be accepted up to one week late but will be penalized 10 points, and no assignments will be accepted more than one week late without prior approval from the instructor or an excused absence as explained in the SpiritU Before you Begin section.
Input From Cheer Stunting & Safety Basics Students
This is a brand new class, so we will post input as we receive it.
- Team bonding
- Setting Goals
- Affective Sportsmanship
Week 2 TEAM SAFETY AND HEALTH GUIDE
- First aid and treatment
- Building safety into stunting
- Know your athletics
- Eating right
Week 3 STUNT TERMS AND TECHNIQUES
- Stunting Progressions
- Stunting errors
- Partner stunting and pyramids
Week 4 SQUAD READINESS
- Physical condition
- Skills and safety techniques
- Proper supervision and attire
Week 5 STUNT SMART
- Safety and spotting
- Respect and Responsibility
- Proper Techniques
Week 6 STUNTING PRINCIPLES
OPEN DISCUSSION: how far the extra mile is your team willing to go in stunts
- Dismounting and Grips
- Helpful tips
[Class authored by Michelle Balzano and Leslie Goettsch. All SpiritU® classes are written exclusively for SpiritU®, and are the sole property of Leslie's Best, Inc.]
Click here to enter classroom
WebDesign & hosting services available by Leslie's Best, Inc. Copyright © 1997-present. Drill Team Exchange, SpiritU®, Spirit Mall®, the SCOOP, dTe and all related elementsare trademarks of Leslie's Best. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in part or in whole without written permission is prohibited.