Coaching Youth Certification
About This Class
The ages between 6 and 14, when a child is attempting to define who he/she is, is greatly influenced by the adults in his/her life. Some of the greatest influences during that time, other than parents, are the child's coaches. As a coach, we take on a tremendous responsibility to help shape a child physically, emotionally and socially. COACHING YOUTH is a certification course designed to give coaches the information they need to responsibly coach a youth sports program, regardless of which sport.
From organizing practices, to communicating with parents, to dealing with the ups and downs of winning and losing, each aspect of running a team involving young children is covered. Coaches will explore skills progressions, conditioning, injuries, record-keeping, and much more. The course emphasizes issues that pertain to younger athletes that are not necessarily present when coaching older teams. The challenges of coaching children are endless, but the personal rewards are boundless. Do you want to be that coach that a child will tell his own children about? COACHING YOUTH is the best first step in that direction.
About The Instructor
- Founder and Coach - Chance 2 Cheer - a NJ Non-Profit Corporation and all-star program for special needs, parathletes and novice-intermediate leveled cheerleaders
- Director - Terminator Spirit Semi-Professional Performance Teams (2005-present)
- Head Coach - Metuchen High School Varsity Cheerleading (2001-2004).
- Finalist - National Cheerleading Coach of the Year 2004/2005 (National Cheer Conference)
- President and Board Member - Metuchen Pop Warner (1998-2005)
- Board Member - Raritan Valley Pop Warner (2001-2004)
- Head Coach - Metuchen Pop Warner Midget, Pee Wee and Jr. Pee Wee Cheer Squads (1998-2004)
- Head Coach - New Jersey Cheer Academy Cougars All-Star Youth Team (1999-2001)
- BA - Dance - Douglass College - Rutgers University
- Former professional dancer and children's theatre actress
- Named 2004/2005 Up and Coming Team of the Year (National Cheer Conference)
- Authored articles on Coaching Youth Cheerleading and Working with Teen Coaches and more
- Safety Certified - R.U.T.G.E.R.S. Safety Certification; NCSSE
- Coaching Classes in Coaching Skills, Stunt Skills and Administrative Issues (UCA 1999-present); Coaching Principles and Ethics, Cheer Coaching Fundamentals, Choreography, Stunting, Safety, Fitness and More (National Cheer Conference [2003-2004])
- Certified Judge - Full Certification - Cheer Ltd
Certificates are valid for three years from the date of issue.
Word Processing software
This is a certification course. Students will receive a professional looking certificate via postal mail upon successful completion of the class. Certificates are valid for three years.
- To motivate new and experienced coaches to want to be a positive influence in the life of a young athlete.
- To expose coaches to the issues surrounding coaching younger children.
- To help coaches choose their style of coaching in order to lend to a positive experience for children, parents and themselves.
- To help coaches plan for their coaching role through organizing their program ahead of time.
- To expose coaches to the liability issues involved in coaching and show how to minimize those risks.
Assignment % of Grade Homework Assignments 40% Quizzes 30% Final Exam 30%
Students must achieve a 75% in the course to be awarded certification. Scores below 75% will require the course to be re-taken to be awarded certification.
Make-Up Exams And Late Work
Full Students Only: It is important to turn in assignments on a timely basis, because this helps show how you'd meet deadlines on day to day real life scenarios. You will generally have a couple of days to turn in assignments. Work should be submitted by due dates unless prior arrangements are made with instructor. Assignments will be accepted up to one week late but will be penalized 10 points, and no assignments will be accepted more than one week late without prior approval from the instructor or an excused absence as explained in the SpiritU Before you Begin section.
Input From Coaching Youth Certification Students
Excellent class! Why? My instructor was very insightful and we had fantastic discussions via the chat room....Our discussion times were valuable to me and I appreciated the insight and questions by the instructor. I gained pointers that I will incorporate into my program for years to come. My instructor was very informed, and we had fantastic discussions concerning many things on dance and cheer. After coaching for 12 years in various positions, you tend to become in a rut sometimes and value less the reason you are there. It was fantastic to talk to others with new ideas, compare items of interest and get motivated again to pick up the pace and make things more exciting again. ...Yes I would consider taking another SpiritU class.
Excellent class. My instructor coaches the same sport that I do and we exchanged alot of good ideas and she was really able to give me alot of good, useful information that I wouldn't have been able to get from a person that didn't coach the same sport as I. Helped me organize my practices from start to finish.
- GETTING STARTED
- GETTING ORGANIZED 1A
- SETTING GOALS & EXPECTATIONS 1B
- MAKING IT FUN 1C
- SHORT ASSIGNMENT
- BACK TO BASICS
- CONDITIONING 2A
- EFFECTIVE PRACTICES 2B
- DEALING WITH SHORT ATTENTION SPANS 2C
- RISK MANAGEMENT
- SKILLS PROGRESSIONS 3A
- MINIMIZING RISKS 3B
- ACCIDENTS/INJURIES 3C
- SHORT ASSIGNMENT
- THE PARENT TRAP
- GETTING HELP 4A
- DEALING WITH PARENTS 4B
- COMMUNICATION 4C
- ITS ALL ABOUT THE KIDS
- MOTIVATING YOUNG CHILDREN 5A
- BUILDING SELF-ESTEEM 5B
- TEAMBUILDING 5C
- CLASS PROJECT DUE
- PERFORMING / COMPETING
- GAME DAY / COMPETITION DAY 6A
- COMPETING WITH YOUTH TEAMS 6B
- WINNING AND LOSING 6C
- FINAL EXAM
[Class authored by Sue Ryan and Leslie Goettsch. All SpiritU® classes are written exclusively for SpiritU®, and are the sole property of Leslie's Best, Inc.]
Coaching Youth Certificate
Click here to enter classroom
WebDesign & hosting services available by Leslie's Best, Inc. Copyright © 1997-present. Drill Team Exchange, SpiritU®, Spirit Mall®, the SCOOP, dTe and all related elementsare trademarks of Leslie's Best. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in part or in whole without written permission is prohibited.