Coaching Principles - Certification
About This Class
Being a successful coach is a tremendous challenge. Coaching Principles is an online coaching certification class that will help both rookie and experienced coaches understand the dynamics that take place between a coach and the individual athlete, and between the coach and the team. We will discuss establishing your coaching objectives, determining the right coaching style, evaluating and developing communications skills, and how to reinforce and motivate your athletes. Lesson plans for an effective practice, teaching sport skills, and a special presentation on how athletes learn are also included in this course. Sports Physiology issues, such as training, fitness and nutrition will be discussed, and we will finish the course with a heavy emphasis on risk management, team management, coaching ethics and self-management issues. This is a generalized course for all coaches, regardless of sport, and the course will involve real life examples from a cross-section of team and individual sports, male, female and co-ed programs, contact and non-contact sports and beginner to advanced skill levels in several age groups.
This certification is based on a book and certification program established by the partnership between by the American Sport Education Program (ASEP) and and the National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Education Program (NFICEP) National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Materials used in this program have been endorsed by the National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Education Program (NFICEP). ASEP is a multilevel coaching education program that develops coaches’ expertise in sport science, sports medicine, and drug education. NFICEP is a special version of the ASEP Leader Level SportCoach Program developed for the National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Association.
About The Instructor
- Founder and Coach - Chance 2 Cheer - a NJ Non-Profit Corporation and all-star program for special needs, parathletes and novice-intermediate leveled cheerleaders
- Director - Terminator Spirit Semi-Professional Performance Teams (2005-present)
- Head Coach - Metuchen High School Varsity Cheerleading (2001-2004).
- Finalist - National Cheerleading Coach of the Year 2004/2005 (National Cheer Conference)
- President and Board Member - Metuchen Pop Warner (1998-2005)
- Board Member - Raritan Valley Pop Warner (2001-2004)
- Head Coach - Metuchen Pop Warner Midget, Pee Wee and Jr. Pee Wee Cheer Squads (1998-2004)
- Head Coach - New Jersey Cheer Academy Cougars All-Star Youth Team (1999-2001)
- BA - Dance - Douglass College - Rutgers University
- Former professional dancer and children's theatre actress
- Named 2004/2005 Up and Coming Team of the Year (National Cheer Conference)
- Authored articles on Coaching Youth Cheerleading and Working with Teen Coaches and more
- Safety Certified - R.U.T.G.E.R.S. Safety Certification; NCSSE
- Coaching Classes in Coaching Skills, Stunt Skills and Administrative Issues (UCA 1999-present); Coaching Principles and Ethics, Cheer Coaching Fundamentals, Choreography, Stunting, Safety, Fitness and More (National Cheer Conference [2003-2004])
- Certified Judge - Full Certification - Cheer Ltd
Certificates are valid for three years from the date of issue.
This is a certification course. Students will receive a professional looking certificate via postal mail upon successful completion of the class. Certificates are valid for three years.
- Successful Coaching Third Edition by Rainer Martens
- 8 1/2" by 11" spiral notebook
- Calendar or day planner
- To assist new and experienced coaches understand the objectives and styles of coaching, and selecting the philosophy and approach that works best for them.
- Working with coaches on the best way to convey reinforcement, motivation and discipline to athletes, and to communicate effectively with athletes at all times.
- To help coaches develop workable lesson plans, to “plan the practice”, so to speak, for maximum effectiveness and the best use of allotted time.
- To develop an understanding of physical fitness, training, injury prevention through common sense conditioning, and nutrition.
- Understanding the need to protect yourself, your organization, and your family through prudent risk management.
- To take care of the team AND the coach by discussing time management, stress management and taking care of your health.
Quizzes/Journal writings/Out of Class Problem Solving = 75 %
Final Exam = 25 %
Students must achieve a 75% in the course to be awarded certification. Scores below 75% will require the course to be re-taken to be awarded certification.
Make-Up Exams And Late Work
Full Students Only: It is important to turn in assignments on a timely basis, because this helps show how you'd meet deadlines on day to day real life scenarios. You will generally have a couple of days to turn in assignments. Work should be submitted by due dates unless prior arrangements are made with instructor. Assignments will be accepted up to one week late but will be penalized 10 points, and no assignments will be accepted more than one week late without prior approval from the instructor or an excused absence as explained in the SpiritU Before you Begin section.
Input From Coaching Principles Students
Just wanted to say that I am enjoying this course very much. I think I am getting much more out of it than I would at a 1-day workshop. The book is really good as well and I enjoy reading it each week. Thanks.
The required material gave me a chance to read and understand things more. The book helped a lot and I am glad that I had that book., The homework or projects gave me a chance to go back in the chapters and read over things that I probably did'nt pay close attention to in the beggining. I learned a lot in this class that I did not know before from doing the homework assignments. The value of information provided was excellent! I am already considering taking another SpiritU class.
I can not believe how much this book has really opened up my eyes to coaching correctly. I really believe every coach should have to read this book all the way thru. At first I was not sure what to expect out of a book that does nothing but talk about coaching. I was truly wondering if this could be really exciting at all. I was wrong! I have learned so very much about everything that I did not even think about before. I can not wait to get into a chat room forum with everyone else to see what they think about the book so far. This book was well worth my money.
So far I feel my Coaching Principles class is going really well. It was hard to know exactly what to expect as this is my first online course. Right away in the beginning of the course when there was some confusion about my textbook, SpiritU and my instructor were so helpful about trying to solve the problem. I was given extra time to finish my homework and almost daily e-mails on the status of my book.
The textbook is really interesting and easy to read and helpful. It explains things in good depth, but is easy to understand and take in. The class so far has been good and helpful.
[quoted from student's mid term evaluation]
...Just want to express to you how much I have enjoyed this class!! I have learned a tremendous amount of important information. I have already begun to use these skills, and they are working with my style of coaching wonderfully! I will begin the final exam as soon as I receive it!
Do you teach any other courses through Spirit U...? I would like to continue to learn and take my squad to the next level!! It has amazed me that since I have been out of cheerleading (not that long 3 years) that it has changed so much! Let me know when you have time and have a great season with your squads, and I hope to keep in touch.
Take care and be well!
Week 1 DEVELOPING A COACHING PHILOSOPHY
- Coaching objectives
- Coaching style
Week 2 SPORT PSYCHOLOGY
- Evaluating and developing your communication skills
- Principles of reinforcement
- Understanding the athlete’s motivation
Week 3 SPORT PEDAGOGY
- Planning for teaching, the necessity for lesson plans
- How the athlete learns
- Teaching sport skills
Week 4 SPORT PHYSIOLOGY
- Principles of athletic training
- Fitness for sport
- How to develop your customized training program
- Nutrition for athletes
Week 5 SPORT MANAGEMENT
- Team Management
- Risk Management
- Taking care of YOU: Self-management
Week 6 ROUNDTABLE, FINAL EXAM
- Ethics questions in coaching
- Additional training available
- Review of class material
- Final exam
[Original class authored by Rick Callebs and Leslie Goettsch, and portions edited by Sue Ryan. All SpiritU® classes are written exclusively for SpiritU®, and are the sole property of Leslie's Best, Inc.]
Coaching Principles Certificate
Click here to enter classroom
WebDesign & hosting services available by Leslie's Best, Inc. Copyright © 1997-present. Drill Team Exchange, SpiritU®, Spirit Mall®, the SCOOP, dTe and all related elementsare trademarks of Leslie's Best. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in part or in whole without written permission is prohibited.