About This Class
Being successful at choreography can be very challenging. This class will help coaches of all experience levels, even new coaches, understand what they need to do to make their routines dynamic. Whether you are creating a routine for a pep rally, half-time performance, exhibition, team competition, individual competitor, or for any other occasion you will find once you know the steps for successful choreography you will feel your creative juices begin to flow.
You will learn the basics of choreography, how to select music, mixing music, creating exciting transitions and formations, cheers, dance, stunts, uniform selection, and more.
About The Instructor
- Founder and Coach - Chance 2 Cheer - a NJ Non-Profit Corporation and all-star program for special needs, parathletes and novice-intermediate leveled cheerleaders
- Director - Terminator Spirit Semi-Professional Performance Teams (2005-present)
- Head Coach - Metuchen High School Varsity Cheerleading (2001-2004).
- Finalist - National Cheerleading Coach of the Year 2004/2005 (National Cheer Conference)
- President and Board Member - Metuchen Pop Warner (1998-2005)
- Board Member - Raritan Valley Pop Warner (2001-2004)
- Head Coach - Metuchen Pop Warner Midget, Pee Wee and Jr. Pee Wee Cheer Squads (1998-2004)
- Head Coach - New Jersey Cheer Academy Cougars All-Star Youth Team (1999-2001)
- BA - Dance - Douglass College - Rutgers University
- Former professional dancer and children's theatre actress
- Named 2004/2005 Up and Coming Team of the Year (National Cheer Conference)
- Authored articles on Coaching Youth Cheerleading and Working with Teen Coaches and more
- Safety Certified - R.U.T.G.E.R.S. Safety Certification; NCSSE
- Coaching Classes in Coaching Skills, Stunt Skills and Administrative Issues (UCA 1999-present); Coaching Principles and Ethics, Cheer Coaching Fundamentals, Choreography, Stunting, Safety, Fitness and More (National Cheer Conference [2003-2004])
- Certified Judge - Full Certification - Cheer Ltd
This is not a certification course. Students will receive an electronic report card via email upon completion of the class in PDF format which students may print to hard copy version via their browsers. To view PDF formats, you may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Let's Cheer video
- 8 ˝ x 11 Spiral Notebook
- graph paper (small package)
- pencils w/ erasers
- To assist new and experienced coaches with choreography from start to finish.
- To teach you how to choose music and mixing techniques.
- To establish the elements needed for a winning routine.
- To provide you with key elements needed to create exciting routines.
- To assist you with which rules apply to your team whether non-competitive or competitive.
Quizzes/Assignments = 40 %
Journal writings/Projects = 40%
Final Exam = 20%
: 90-100% = A
: 80-89.9% = B
: 70-79.9% = C
: 60-69.9% = D
: below 60% = F
Make-Up Exams And Late Work
Full Students Only: It is important to turn in assignments on a timely basis, because this helps show how you'd meet deadlines on day to day real life scenarios. You will generally have a couple of days to turn in assignments. Work should be submitted by due dates unless prior arrangements are made with instructor. Assignments will be accepted up to one week late but will be penalized 10 points, and no assignments will be accepted more than one week late without prior approval from the instructor or an excused absence as explained in the SpiritU Before you Begin section.
- Evaluating your squad/group or individual weakness and strengths
- Formations and Transitions
- Difficulty vs. Safety
- Be Prepared
- Attitudes before, during and after performances
- Pep Rally/Half - Time Routines
- Competitive Routines
- Sources for Music
- Selection of Music
- Editing/Mixing of music
- Do It Yourself or Hire Someone
- Transitions…Yes, Transitions again
Rules and Guidelines
- National Federation/AACCA
Final Steps and Final Exam
- Teaching the material
- Is your squad prepared?
- Show Time
- Final Exam
[Class authored by Terri Berry and Leslie Goettsch. All SpiritU® classes are written exclusively for SpiritU®, and are the sole property of Leslie's Best, Inc.]
Click here to enter classroom
WebDesign & hosting services available by Leslie's Best, Inc. Copyright © 1997-present. Drill Team Exchange, SpiritU®, Spirit Mall®, the SCOOP, dTe and all related elementsare trademarks of Leslie's Best. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in part or in whole without written permission is prohibited.